Breast Augmentation in Atlanta, GA
Who better to understand your desire for larger breasts than another woman? Dr. Marisa Lawrence is one of Atlanta’s top female plastic surgeons, offering technical expertise with a woman’s point of view. She has had several plastic surgery procedures herself, so she is uniquely qualified to answer your questions and share her experience as both a surgeon and a patient. Our breast implant patients, located in Atlanta, Alpharetta and surrounding areas, trust Dr. Lawrence implicitly with their cosmetic enhancement surgery needs.
Benefits of Breast Implants
Women have implants placed for different reasons. Here are some of the most common:
- Increase the size of naturally small breasts
- Improve symmetry between differently sized breasts
- Reconstruct one or both breasts after mastectomy
- Restore volume to breasts that have shrunk with age, or after having children
Dr. Lawrence has worked with hundreds of Atlanta breast augmentation patients to help them attain the bust line they desire.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
In general, breast augmentation surgery is an outpatient procedure that takes one to one and a half hours. Although the basic steps are similar, breast augmentation is a highly customized procedure, tailored to your unique needs, body type and cosmetic goals. Together before surgery, you and Dr. Lawrence will need to address several factors and decide on the approach that will produce the most natural looking and beautiful results. These factors include implant size, shape, position and material, as well as incision placement. Dr. Lawrence will base her recommendations on your body type, desired results (shape and size), your existing breast volume, skin quality and any asymmetry in your chest.
Breast augmentation may be combined with a breast lift to improve both the size and position of small, saggy breasts. If you decide you would like to improve the appearance of your breasts and stomach simultaneously, you might be interested in a mommy makeover, which is a combination of surgical procedures. Inquire about this option during your surgical consultation with Dr. Lawrence.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
After your breast augmentation surgery, you will probably feel sore and your chest may feel tight and look bruised. This shouldn’t last more than 48 hours, depending on whether your implants were placed above or below the chest muscle. Any pain can be treated with oral medications. Dr. Lawrence will likely want you to wear a special garment to help your implants heal and settle into place properly.
Dr. Lawrence’s patients usually return to work within three or four days after surgery, and may return to their normal exercise routines after four weeks.
Potential Risks of Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation complications are rare, but risks include infection, bleeding, capsular contracture, dissatisfaction with the cosmetic results, and reactions to the anesthesia. Though both saline and silicone implants are approved by the FDA for safety, implants are at risk of wrinkling, rupturing and deflating at any point. If they rupture, saline implants will immediately deflate and your body will absorb the saltwater solution harmlessly; silicone implant rupture is harder to detect, as the gel slowly leaks from the shell. Dr. Lawrence will go over these risks in greater detail during your surgical consultation.
About Breast Asymmetry
Breast asymmetry is when one breast is larger than the other. Breast asymmetry is usually no cause for concern as it is quite normal. However, it can be a cosmetic issue for some women. Dr. Lawrence can help even the size of the breasts via breast augmentation, breast reduction or a combination of both.
What Are My Options for Breast Implants?
There have never been more choices for breast augmentation. The following options are available, depending on your medical history, body shape and aesthetic goals.
- Saline-filled breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. They may be prefilled at a predetermined size or filled at the time of surgery to allow for minor modifications in implant size.
- Structured saline-filled breast implants are filled with sterile salt water, but contain a structure inside so they behave as if filled with soft, elastic silicone gel. This structure enables them to hold their shape better than traditional saline implants. Approved by the FDA and Health Canada in 2014, these implants have been available since 2015.
- Silicone gel-filled breast implants are filled with soft, elastic gel and are available in a variety of shapes. All silicone gel breast implants are prefilled and may require a longer incision for implant placement.
- Cohesive gel silicone gel-filled breast implants, also known as “gummy bear” or “form stable” implants, are filled with a cohesive gel, made of cross-linked molecules of silicone, which makes them a bit thicker and firmer than traditional silicone gel implants. This enables them to hold their shape better. Approved by the FDA for use in the United States in 2012, these implants have been available in much of the world since 1992.
Learn More about the Gummy Bear Implant
Learn More About Breast Implants
If you are curious about how you would look with bigger, fuller breasts, schedule a surgical consultation with Dr. Lawrence to review your options. You may contact our office to make an appointment. We proudly serve patients in Atlanta, Alpharetta and nearby communities.